Thursday, January 7, 2010

I like skirts with frills on them.

Finding the departure gate for the Virgin Blue flight to Mackay from Brisbane Airport was the easier than tripping over while wearing heels on a cobblestone street. I didn't even need to consult my ticket, because it was so blatently obvious by the attitudes, mannerisms and dress of the slumping tourists at Gate 41 were from Mackay.

Don't get me wrong; Mackay is a beautiful place, I just have a problem with the people who live here.

I went to Southbank for New Years Eve. The whole night, I heard one person swear. I saw around ten dressed ick-ily and didn't see any drunken brawls. Take this situation, minus the community-minded and tolerant Brisbane residents, and replace them with people from Mackay. Result : all hell would have broken loose.

People in Brisbane dress so tastefully and well. They actually pay attention to the style, colour, cut, and look of their clothes, and generally don't turn out looking foul. Why is this never the case in Mackay?

My theory has alot to do with respect. In Brisbane, children are brought up to respect their elders, environment, friends, family, and most of all, themself. In Mackay, everyone simply expects and assumes that no-one else has respect for them, and as a result, we're left with tumbling litter, drunken violence in public and an extremely profitable franchise of Supre.

I don't mean to sound cynical, I don't mean to seem like a snob, but seriously, wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment